Published on January 28th, 2017 | by Angela Fox0
National Panorama Single Pan Bands Finals 2017
For the first time in a number of years, the National Panorama Single Pan Bands Finals will be held as a separate event.
Come Sunday January 29th, the sounds of steel from the (“pan round de neck/traditional bands”) will resound at the Arima Basketball Court, Arima, as twenty one (21) steelbands will vie for bragging rights, the Pan Trinbago Challenge Trophy and prize monies. Competition starts at 4:00 pm. Admission is $100. anywhere.
In 2017, bands proceeded from the Preliminary Round to the Finals with Newtown Playboys Steel Symphony scoring 278.5 points. They topped the Preliminary round, followed by San Juan All Stars (276.5) and Woodbrook Modernaires (275.5) points.
After eight (8) intense days of steelpan music from fifty two (52) bands in the four (4) zones, the qualifiers were announced at Port of Spain City Hall on Friday before the bands’ representatives.
Adjudicators in this category are: Tommy Crichlow, Rojelle Granger-Morton, Vorbin Cordice, Audley Timothy, Brendon Moore and Mark Brewester.
Bands will be judged on the basis of Arrangement (40), General Performance (40), Tone (10) and Rhythm (10) points.
Single Pan Steelbands are permitted to perform with 20 players in the Qualifying Round with a maximum of 30 players for the Finals.
For the purpose of the competition, each participating Single Pan band may select and perform any calypso/soca or chutney providing that the selection has not been played by the said steelbvand at a previous Panorama competition with a performance time of six (6) minutes.
Both defending champions, Marsicans and Trinidad East Side Symphony, placed seventh with 273.0 points and as such will defend their title.
The following is order of appearance:
- T&T Defence Force Ethel Terrence BJ Marcelle
- Marsicans Thunder Marcelle Marlon White
- T&T Defence Force Get Something & Wave Kion Robinson
- Stardust Tourist Elsie Simeon Superville
- La Famille United Pan By Storm Jason “Peanuts Isaac
- Pan Jammers Different Me Robert Tobitt
- Trinidad East Side Symphony Pan In Danger Jerod Lett/Sheldon Harewood
- Shades in Steel Showdown(Band Meets Band) Dante Panti
- Woodbrook Modernaires Jump On the Count of 4 Ankoma “Bobby” Paul
- La Creole Pan Groove This Melody Sweet Jamal Mec Meb Gibbs
- Newtown Playboys Steel Symphony Get Something & Wave Carlan Harewood
- Brimblers War Kevin “Bones” Holder
- Nu Pioneers Pan Groove Drive It Shaun & Simon Marcano
- Trinidad Nostalgic Flag Party Amrit Samaroo
- Highlighters Fete Jason Farell
- St James Tripolians Fire Down Below Dereck Boucaud
- Woodbrook Playboyz Total Disorder Michelle Huggins-Watts
- San Juan All Stars Johnny Atiba Joseph
- Brazil RX4 Kaka Roach Akil Brown
- T&T Prison Service Nah Do Dat Terrence Sealy
- Uni Stars Magic Drum Kareem Brown